Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medication. Never before have a lot of new strategies and scientific advancements emerged in such a brief duration of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers millions of individuals the opportunity to reduce or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and painless way to remedy vision, but stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a medical professional by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be deceived by fancy advertisements about a particular laser center. Pick the medical professional, not the laser center. Discover who will in fact do your procedure, then inquire about that doctor's qualifications (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Choose a medical professional who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a physician doesn't know can hurt you.
4. Request info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. If your doctor will not tell you, find another one. For top cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what measures are taken to prevent infection. Firmly insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized before your eye laser surgery to eliminate the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of advertisements pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as good as a discount rate parachute.
Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, however do not expect to see completely. As with my link any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as individual as each patient. Be careful of any doctor who assures 20/20 vision.
8. If you seem like you're getting a hard sell, you most likely are. Go elsewhere. You're not buying a cars and truck; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably use better vision than LASIK. Consider waiting till the brand-new lenses are available. Ask your physician about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, do not lose sight of the advantages: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually improved the vision of millions of individuals around the world.